Monday, August 1, 2011

Pinch Her. But Not Yet

This morning, the Matron woke up late.

She had a peaceful breakfast, worked out on the downstairs 16th century torture machine (an elliptical her family calls Bob), and then took the dogs on a leisurely (for her) romp through the dog park.

This was all before 8 am. And it made her happy.

There were errands to run, nothing out of the ordinary: Target, post-office, gas. She grabbed a coffee along the way and listened to talk radio, which is sort of her version of music.

You can totally rock out to political pundits and book reviewers.

Then, best of all. Peaceful lunch while reading a brand new book.

After that, she donned her psychological warfare hat and took on the house. Friends, what she accomplished is nearly orgasmic. Imagine Merrick's room, clean. The entire downstairs, polished. The workshop --- let us pause here. This is not a 'workshop' although there remains a semblance of industriousness in the shelves and workbench left, and built, by the previous homeowner. No, this is the Matron's Black Hole. It is a sometimes wide open space, a depository for everything else in the Universe that has no home.

Pants too small? Put them in the workshop. Old boxes that might be good someday? Report cards, old photographs, sweatshirt somebody left here, pot that blackened, tissue paper, half-written-in notebooks, broken toys, forgotten Pokemon cards, remote control jeep missing a wheel, shoes that might be recylced to another kid, winter boots, jackets, mittens, hats?

Workshop.

After an hour of mine excavation, one can now walk four feet into the room. This too, made the Matron happy. She then swept and mopped every floor in the house. It is a big house. Her knees hurt.

She took the dogs on an unheard of SECOND outing, this time just a few blocks around the house. In a particularly bold move, she drove to a nearby convenience store --aptly named, she thought--and purchased a bag of lime chips which she ate while reading a book and watching Hawaii-Five-Oh.

The things she learned today! That show is back (remember the old one?) and the new cops are pretty hunky. Plus, she still has retained the skill of reading, eating, watching TV while occasionally wiping counters and talking on the phone.

Did she mention she also got caught up with her grading?

And if regular readers think that she has suddenly inhabited another woman's calmer, peaceful and productive life, the Matron will share that she has the previously unimaginable pleasure of being ALONE in her house for an indeterminate amount of time (not lasting longer than 48 hours and perhaps even already over for potential intruders -- excuse her while she tells John to put away his baseball bat and the dogs to stop baring their teeth).

Alone. Alone. Alone. From climbing into clean sheets to waking up in sheets with nobody else hogging them. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Not one time today did she hear this word reverberating through the hallways: "MOM!"

God-Universe-Buddha-Oprah-Allah?

Thank you.

8 comments:

trash said...

Amen

*m* said...

Ah, the twin joys of solitude and accomplishment.

bethany said...

there. is. nothing. better. to be alone in my own house does the same thing, and forget sleeping in! i can't wait to get at it, until i break for lunch on the porch with a book. so glad you have the time!

Jan said...

Glorious! I haven't had more than an hour alone in my house for YEARS! I'm afraid that when that time finally comes, I won't know what to do with it. So glad you were able to enjoy every moment. Glad the kids all have special things to do too.

Common Household Mom said...

I cannot imagine it. I was once alone in my house for 18 hours, and I didn't know what to do with myself. Or the house.

Deb said...

I'm not so fond of being alone in my house, though it happens often enough. I think it is because my children are now grown.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I think Deb is right - once the children are grown, it's different. But I am still in the same stage as the Matron - my husband took the kids on a camping trip last October and I reveled in being able to sashay from one mundane household task to another without my train of thought being interrupted. It was so relaxing! I realized that ordinarily my entire body is tensed, just waiting for the inevitable "Mommy!"

But when they grow up and leave? I will miss these days, just as right now I pine for the presence of a 2-year-old again. You don't know what you got til it's gone...

Vivianne said...

Yebbut ....Danno's too short :)