Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mouse in the House

Sigmund Freud must have had a hand in this: a mouse appeared today!

The Matron understands that a single mouse sighting means there are approximately 2 million of the vermin in her environs. But to the children? A single gray rodent has taken up residence, supposedly under the piano. Merrick imagines Mousie lounging on a tiny vinyl couch, munching on cheese curds.

But at the initial sighting? When the creature scuttled across the wood floors with Satan's Familiar in hot pursuit and children as audience?

Reaction read like a Rorschach test.

Merrick claimed the mouse a pet, named him, and proceeded to post stuffed animals and trinkets in front of the piano, hoping to charm Mousie out.

Scarlett SCREAMED, ran upstairs and started packing her bags. Turns out she is unable to live in a house with a mouse (uh, you have no idea what happened winter of 2006, sweetie. . . you shared a bedroom with a colony). Unable to find alternate housing on short notice, she refuses to come downstairs.

Stryker flopped on the couch and said this: "Thank God. I hope there are hundreds so I can train them . . . to be my unholy army of the night. Can I please have an unholy army of the night, Mom??

13 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Well, don't send Scarlett here. She definitely won't be happy.

Irene said...

Does Stryker realize how difficult it is to train a whole army of mice?

witchypoo said...

Yep, seems it will be a cold winter this year, the little beggars are wasting no time finding warmth. I use Ratak, which is a one feeding kill. I hear them for a bit, but then they discover the treats I leave under the stove for them. Then I don't hear them.

smalltownme said...

Well, I like Stryker's sense of humor. (I hope it's humor. Otherwise you are in for a difficult time.)

If he'd lived here he could have had the rat we found under our stove as one of his minions.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I think every growing boy deserves an unholy army of the night.

K. said...

Stryker is totally my new best friend. (But at heart, I'm with Scarlett. I never quite got over the trauma of when a whole bunch of Mousies nested in my dresser drawers. I can tolerate them in cages, but only just.)

Good luck!

Nora said...

I would have been up with Scarlett, I'm afraid. Eek.

Unknown said...

This reminds me of the terrible mouse genocide of 2001... I don't want to talk about it.

Julie said...

That's hilarious! So...what actually happened to the mouse in the house?

Lynda said...

I love that Stryker ASKS if he can have an unholy army of the night - fantastic!

Queenly Things said...

Yeah, but mice are really, really hard to train.

Mrs. G. said...

If you need good mouse reading, pick up Haven Kimmel's She Got Up Off the Couch-you will die with laughter.

Don't feed the mice!!!!!

Heather of the EO said...

Now I'm scared that I just haven't seen them yet and they're over-taking my basement! I'll send them over when I find them--to join the army.