Thursday, April 17, 2008

New Mama

Remember the Pregnant Student?

Today, her friend A (who we just adore) raised her hand and said, "XX had her baby!!"

Victoria was born on Sunday, bursting on the scene at 7 lbs and 4 ounces. Report has it that she's beautiful. Perfect. Her Mama is 19 years old.

Here's the email that Dr. Professor Matron sent the New Mama:

**

Dear XX,

A told me that the stunning Victoria was born in the wee hours of Sunday April 13 and that she's beautiful. I'm so happy for you! Welcome to the Mama Club. Even though I'm your teacher, this Club is a special place that we both belong to, on equal footing. It's something the non-Mama's don't fully know (but they appreciate because women are good that way). I'm happy to meet you here. Take care of yourself and the sweet Victoria and worry about College English 2 whenever you're ready.

Mary

***

And, she meant it.

22 comments:

Jennifer S said...

You wrote a lovely note. I'm not surprised.

JCK said...

Probably just what she needed to hear. 19!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

"bursting on the scene at 7 lbs and 4 ounces" and with a hankerin' for fast food!

I LOVE the name Victoria!

Anonymous said...

I had Maddy at 19, and I've managed to keep her alive for almost a decade now ;)

Nice note Matron, yay for healthy babies!

Allmycke said...

What a nice note to write to a student who has driven you almost insane the last few months!
My students are younger, hopefully I won't have to face the same situation, but I don't think I could be so magnanimous!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I was in your class!
Your note was very special indeed.

Heather said...

You are a good person.

Madge said...

does she know she has a league of women out here wishing her the best despite knowing what is ahead of her

Unknown said...

Sweet. I wonder how long it will take for her to bring the baby to class with her?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are so kind.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I would have loved a note like that, even at 27.

Lovely.

Irene said...

A child born to a child, I shiver! A very kind note of you, though.

Anonymous said...

I am the daughter of a teenage parent and was constantly reminded how hard it was!!! I suspect my mother could have done with someone like you being kind to her.

Good for you.

I was a mother at 22 and I think now that that was far too young but it would never have helped if anyone had pointed that out to me at the time.

Anonymous said...

You are too gracious to that nacho-chewing, cola-guzzling twit!!! Hopefully she gets it all together now that the baby is born.

Liv said...

you're a good woman, mary matron.

Kimberly said...

You? Are a great teacher and an even better person.

Bonnie said...

What a gift that note was! Perfect!

Mrs. G. said...

We all need a little support now and again-even when we've been more than a little difficult.

dkuroiwa said...

What an incredibly lovely thing to say...knowing just how much of oneself you have to put into raising a child, I hope she appreciates knowing that you are there for her.
And on a different level...I'm looking forward to your posts about things she tells you about the baby...all leading up to this have been, sorry to say, humorous!! I can only imagine....

Angie said...

What a great post & email. I can't imagine anything I would want to hear more than those words as a new mom at 19 or any age, for that matter.

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I believe we call that grace.

Jocelyn said...

Were that my student, she would've read it and responded, "Huh?"