Wednesday, January 2, 2008

PhD as in Putty Head, Darling

Today, while volunteering at the children's school, I had to tell my daughter's fourth grade teacher that (even as I desperately wished the moment was not unfolding) I did not understand the concept of reducing fractions to their lowest terms and would therefore, be unable to assist the small children at that task.

Thank God for the internet because I plan to learn how to do this stupid math trick, here.

Things I cannot do: add, subtract, divide, multiply or reduce.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

I didn't understand fractions until college.

Beth said...

Don't put yourself down - you once knew how to reduce fractions and all that other stuff but now, more pressing knowledge has shoved that petty information to the far recesses of your brain.

Mrs. G. said...

This is too funny. At least you were honest. I've had to relearn math with my kids. Cool site.

Saucy said...

My daughter does the KUMON math program and at twelve years of age, does more remarkable things with a fraction than I could ever do with a pound of unsalted butter and a cup of sugar. The numbers, by george, they elude me.

Minnesota Matron said...

Beth - you are my new favorite person on the planet. Yes. Who needs to know this when there are fine wines one needs to discuss and so much more nuanced grown-up information!!

Karen said...

We can't know everything all the time...we know and learn things as needed.

Anonymous said...

I went right ahead and admitted from the start to my kids that once they get past +-x and division, forget it, ask dad. I'm pushing for poetry night at our house though...

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage to admit you didn't know how to do it. That takes a lot of guts.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I was off school sick the week my class learnt fractions, and I never seemed to catch up!