Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How do They do it?

Look at this lovely vase. The Matron carefully constructed an artful arrangement of purple and green in her living room.

Right below? This piece of paper has been on the floor since May 12th. Yes, folks, nearly one month. She will never, ever--as long as there is blood and breath pumping through her -- pick up this remant from a Giraldi chocolate square.
Here's another view:


Perhaps the lighting makes this art? And that's why her husband can read the newspaper on the chair next to the paper and not pick up the garbage?
That little square scrap of paper may outlive cockroaches. Daily, each family member walks by this piece of paper without being bothered by its eternal existence. Even Scarlett--born with the UTD (uterine tracking device) -- is oblivious. That child knows where the gnawed pencil that Merrick used for homework on January 12 is, but she hasn't yet registered the garbage on the living room floor.
The Matron thinks that a month on the floor is quite spectacular, worthy of photo documentation (which doesn't come naturally as she has a new cell phone she can barely answer, let alone photograph from).
Consider this another installment of What Fell Friday, only on Wednesday.

7 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I can't wait to see how long that piece of trash stays there.

Whenever I test my husband in that way, things inevitably end up with me exploding because he doesn't notice/do/act/etc. For example, about eight years ago, he went 14 straight weeks without unloading the dishwasher. I noticed, I kept track, I stayed silent. Until the day I exploded and he had no idea what I was upset about. Now, we take turns unloading the dishwasher.

Deb said...

It just becomes part of the landscape, like Aunt Evie's ugly dish that has sat for years on the bookcase, never to be used or moved.

Hey, wait, maybe if I move it to the floor...

unmitigated me said...

They haven't even SEEN it, I'm betting. Or maybe it's an experiment to see how long before Mom explodes?

MJ said...

This plot gets juicier each day!

Anonymous said...

Do you just get madder and madder and madder? I do. I'm awful that way.
The pile of clothes by D's side of the bed continues to grow and fester. My heels are dug in.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Satan's Familiar doesn't play with it? Weird.
I have so many experiments like that in my house that I would have trouble choosing just one...

I see an old-fashioned radiator! *sigh*

Glennis said...

My morning routine is to come out to the kitchen and gather up all the bits and wrappers of things left on the countertop and move them to the garbage can.

My husband is the kind of person who will carry an empty soda can from his place in front of the TV, walk into the kitchen PAST the recycling can, and deposit the soda can on the kitchen counter.