Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Reviews

The Matron knew this would happen. A critic compared her daughter to the first local Helen and found the former, well (couched and polite, but there) better. One more important (in these parts) review appeared, in MinnPost (if you live here and aren't family -- a great resource!).

Because she's tidy, here's the earlier review. She'll put more on this post as/if they appear, so check back if you're following Stage Mother (hiss, hiss!).

Mostly, the Matron is amazed that any ten-year old psyche can stand the scrutiny.

Speaking of scrutiny, last night, the Matron was instructed to never again praise her daughter for her acting acumen. Here's how that went.

So she saw the last ten minutes of the show again, when she went to pick up her daughter. The Matron cried along with everybody else. She thought Scarlett even better than opening night.

Later.

Matron: "You were just terrific, honey. I'm so proud of you."

Scarlett: "Mom, will you please stop praising me for acting."

Matron: "Why?"

Scarlett: "Well, when I brush my teeth or comb my hair, nobody says 'great job brushing your teeeth' or 'I'm so proud that you combed your hair.' Acting is like that. It's just one of the things that I have to do. Like homework."

Matron: "You mean acting is something so ordinary for you that we should treat it as totally normal, like going to school or taking a shower?"

Scarlett: "Yes! Most shows aren't a big fuss and I don't want this one to be, either. Or Ramona."

Okay, then.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was an acting student, my least favorite part of the show was when my family insisted on cramming their faces through the dressing room door and praising me. I know. It's weird, but is the prerogative of the thespian. The applause from the crowd is all that is necessary, really.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is one mature and self-secure young lady.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Definitely right. She's just doing her job, ma'am!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Your assessment of that review was off the mark!

...bringing a different and appealing patina of vulnerability to the role...

That's what he said about your daughter. It's a compliment (or, at least, I think so - it takes talent to portray vulnerability on stage). He merely points out that she played it differently than did the first Helen. Actors do that all the time.

Mrs. G. said...

Well the reviews are in and I've read them all: well played Scarlett!

Now breathe Matron.

witchypoo said...

I hear those acting types are a superstitious lot as well. Perhaps the praise thing falls under the "break a leg" umbrella?

laurie said...

hmmm, dominic didn't say the other actress was better. he said one had a feisty intelligence, and the other had an appealing vulnerability.

he didn't grade them. so relax. clearly your girl is great, and the world can see it. you must give the world some credit, or you will never survive this.

Anonymous said...

Like I needed another reason to adore that child. Currently the new game in the dressing room is "How fast can I change out of Act I costume into Act II?" And Scarlett now has a running log of times...she never includes extra time for the bloomers being in the dryer because that's really out of her control.