Friday, August 29, 2008

The Republicans Are Coming! The Republicans Are Coming!

Now, the Matron lives in a little-known urban neighborhood, one of those treasures. Hers is a gorgeous bluff above the Mississippi River. Every night, the Matron and her husband gasp at their (moderately priced) panoramic view of the Twin Cities.

But tonight, on her way home from three torturous hours at Como Town, she was unable to zip through downtown on an errand. Why? They're heeeeeeeeeeeeere. . . . all her favorite routes are orange road blocks. The Republican National Convention has taken up roost.

Why, she is SO close to downtown that on Monday, she will be able to see Karl Rove's nose hairs. And the plastic surgery stitch marks on Cindy McCain's face! Not that she's a leftie and a tad bit irreverent.

Okay, she is! Both!

The Matron and her family plan to bike downtown several times during the Republican National Convention and check out the wealth of alternative protest offerings. Cloud Cult is playing on Sunday, for free!! The Matron has sung their praises before she had so many readers and she hopes you click, because, oh, that band is worth knowing.

But at this wizened, mid-game age, the Matron understands that protest and fervor is just part of the picture. She's been of the pay it forward mindset of late.

To that end, in honor of the Republican National Convention breathing down her fair neck, the Matron is making a micro-loan through Kiva. Have $50 bucks that you can spare for a year? That money means the difference between poverty and prosperity -- even between hope and despair or life and death -- in the lives of millions.

If you've ever wondered how you can help someone who was born far less lucky than you, here's your chance. And she hopes all the kind-hearted, generous of spirit folk who read her blog (and that includes at least a few Repblicans because she knows and loves some) can find a few bucks they don't need for a year.

Want to save a family? She wonders how anyone could answer, no.

18 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Well tell the Republicans hi for me. We're tight.

I have to confess to being a Kiva addict. I have a map on the wall in my hallway with pins in all the countries where folks are trying to build their businesses.

Kiva is my heartl

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad I live in the western metro. I wish the people of St. Paul good luck. I'm not even going to go over to protest ... For a few glorious more days I'm going to keep basking in the glow of Hillary and Bill and Joe and the MAN himself. Republicans? What Republicans?

Heather of the EO said...

Kiva rocks the party.
Love this idea!
I too am here in Republican Land, wishing I didn't live RIGHT by the State Fair grounds and COMO TOWN at the current moment. On any other given weekend, it's a great place to live. Even if it freezes my face off in the winter :)
Great post!

thefirecat said...

Please tell me you've seen the Daily Show billboard on I-94. Or else I'll have to figure out how to post it in comments.

smalltownme said...

My son just registered to vote! Thankfully in my party of choice!

Kiva is wonderful.

Jason, as himself said...

Now THIS sounds like a good time!

JCK said...

If it was in my town...I might have to start slashing myself. Or just not going out for days...

Kiva sounds intriguing.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Being on the periphery of something this big is amazing.

Mr. Fix-it and I were in downtown Chicago on the 1st day of the Iraq war. We basically stumbled into a protest that closed the intersection of Lakeshore Dr. and Michigan Ave. It was amazing.

Thanks for the Kiva info.

Susan Carlin said...

Hi Mary- It's always dangerous for me to come visit your blog. I end up reading post after post. Now I've got to go check out the music of Cloud Cult and the micro loans of Kiva. I'm sure I'll be happy I did. Hugs from Texas.

thefirecat said...

Apparently, I can't leave an image in comments. Sorry. This is not just a ploy to get you to come to my blog. Honest.

But the billboard is now posted there.

Anonymous said...

I'm in - a loan is on its way to Tanzania. Thanks for the Kiva heads-up.

Manager Mom said...

I think that Kiva is one of the most brilliant things the web has ever empowered.

*sigh* hope you survive all of the pointless pageantry...

shrink on the couch said...

On your bike ride, do wave to the Code Pink ladies for me.

I don't (think I) know about Kiva. Will have to look for info.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info about Kiva. I lost their info when our computer crashed.
Amazing story behind Cloud Cult.
Hope you enjoy the GOP. Will there be elephants??

Unknown said...

Hey, a very particular Republican stopped by my house on his way to see you. He blocked my side streets like a domestic hostage crisis in a dilapidated duplex. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

A fab plan of action. They are on my Favorite Things to Sponsor list.

Gretchen said...

Love the idea behind Kiva - now I just have to do it.

Drove my husband to the MSP airport Sunday - what a mess! Will be staying tucked safe in my southern Suburb for the next few days.

Jocelyn said...

Kiva is one of 3-4 charities that I donate to regularly, for friends' and family members' birthdays and for holidays. Great idea.