Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Boy Gives Me That Old Time Fever, Twice

Can the stars align, so, twice?

Sunday, Stryker said, "I want to go through all the junk in my room and throw away what I don't need and organizing everything else."

Okay, I am dizzy.

"Alone."

On my knees!

Did I mention that the Matron is a tiny teeny bit of a neat freak? Is the gene finally becoming dominant in one of my offspring? Please.

He worked busily all afternoon and into the evening. John gave him early instruction in all things organization and I hauled armloads of garbage memorabilia into the basement storage.

I was only allowed to enter at bedtime, when I was given the official tour.

"Mom! Look at these drawers!" He pulls out pristine squares, glistening and spare.

"The shelves!" All books lined and alphabetized! Trinkets neatly arranged and dusted. Is this what they mean by The Rapture?

"All this empty space to move!" The piles of junk--gear, gadgets and game--gone. Yes, they wait sorting in the basement but that's a place I avoid with far more success than a child's room.

Climbing into bed, he said (casually, as if this wasn't going to break me entirely): "I have two New Year's Resolutions. When I want a snack, instead of junk food, I'm going to grab a grapefruit. And I'd like to join an algebra club."

I do believe in Jesus.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I am in awe. But will it last?

Tracy said...

I am speechless. And so jealous. Wow.

K. said...

Jesus, or possibly alien possession.

No really, that's awesome. I'm not jealous or anything. I'm really happy for you. That's not a grimace, it's just how I smile.

:P

Angie said...

Can he come over and teach mine? My youngest has every frickin scrap of paper, gum wrapper and shoe box she has ever come in contact with during her entire 11 years on earth.

Becky Brown said...

I'm in love with your son.

That's all.