Monday, May 14, 2012

In this Sort of Mood

The Five-Day Rain
by Denise Levertov

The washing hanging from the lemon tree
in the rain
and the grass long and coarse.

Sequence broken, tension
of sunlight broken.
So light a rain

fine shreds
pending above the rigid leaves.

Wear scarlet! Tear the green lemons 
off the tree! I don't want
to forget who I am, what has burned in me
and hang limp and clean, an empty dress ---


The Matron so loves the images, the suspension, the lust for lemons so urgent that one must reach while they are still green, not ready. No waiting! 

Here's the day we've been given. Blaze and shine.

2 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

Wow. I think I'll go put on something scarlet now. Beautiful.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

This poem always stirs up my heart, creating movement and a bit of agitation.