Thursday, April 3, 2008

On The Other Hand, Lessons She Learned

The things the Matron's mother taught her could fill a book.

Indeed, if she wasn't so busy being a bitterly under-employed underappreciated adjunct professor and full-time mama -- while already working on a different book, the Matron could very well pen such missive.

But since she is so over-scheduled, we will skip the book and hit the highlights.

Remember that fierce and significant silence regarding the Opposite Sex? The single mother, as in: single. Without Man. No Tall Dark and Winsome in sight.

Young Miss grew up with the complete and utter certainty that women--specifically mothers--were in charge of Absolutely Everything On This Planet.


If the oil needed changing or a fuse popped, Young Miss's Mother attended to said task. Shoveling? Flat tire? Done.

Income, health insurance, food and clothing for four people even when you originally signed on for Marriage, which meant laundry and lunch and the general domestic shuffle (financed by someone else)?

Got that covered, too.

Not only did the Matron not going looking for a husband or reek of desperation at thirty, she honestly did not understand the entire concept of such Need in the first place. Love sort of stumbled upon her. But she was not shopping for marriage.

Nor did the Matron particularly desire children.


Because Young Miss's Mother was perpetually locked in Desperate Struggle for Survival, children seemed like oh so many roadblocks. Big fat balls and chains, mouths to feed and all that sort of trouble.

Young Miss nurtured this theory regarding children for several years, then approached her mother.

Young Miss: "If you knew then, what you know now --- like how hard it is to raise children alone - -- would you have kept us or given us to Dad?"

Mother: "I probably would've never had you in the first place. Certainly, I would've let your father take you."

Good to have that cleared up now, wasn't it?

That conversation ---seared onto the Matron's memory (and even though she will agree that memory is selective and Freud reigns, that exact exchanged transpired) meant that children were not only unnecessary, but absolute DOOM.

So Young Miss never pined or planned for offspring.

Indeed, after one woozy bottle of wine, she and her new husband had a laughing conversation about Contraceptive Russian Roulette and how everyone else seemed to love children (of course, they didn't).

After ten minutes of serious planning for the future while under the influence of Pinot Noir, they decided that if they did not use birth control and conceived within the next few minutes, they were destined to be parents.

Please do not imagine the phone call three weeks later.

Youngish Miss: "You cannot believe this! I am @$@%% pregnant. Oh my %$#$#% God. I have not finished my #$#%% dissertation! What are we going to do!?"

Silence.

Youngish Miss: "You there! It's your fault, too!"

Another thing the Matron learned from her mother?


You look fine without make-up. There was none of that stuff in the house. The Matron still does not understand mascara. The wand looks like a vehicle of Medieval Torture.

And, you need this:Education was the gold ticket out. Young Miss's mother picked up household and moved across the state to complete her education - a single parent with children 9, 8, and 5. That makes her more of a rock star than Bono.

Finally, the Young Miss understood that no matter how flawed or complex, there was nothing compared to Mother Love.

Forget that sun. Solar eclipse or moon showers.

There's your mama.

The Young Miss was 7 years old. She and her little sister (6) went to the neighbor's house. The parents were conveniently not home. The boys -- ages 10 and 12 -- harnessed little sister and told Young Miss that unless she returned with A BUCKET OF TOYS they would stab that sister and kill her.

This might seem like hyperbole except -- those boys? They were holding butcher knives.

Young Miss scrambled home in terror, looking for bucket and toys. Weeping and shaking, utterly undone.

It took her Mother about eight seconds to figure out what was going on. Mother stormed through the yard, into the neighbor's house, liberated her youngest daughter and turned those boys over her 27-year old knee to render those bottoms beet red, near bloody.

Then, she called the police and had those children arrested.

To this day, the Matron understands the value of terror and maternal rage.

Thank you, Mom.

So when a dear friend's daughter was being tortured -- tormented -- for FIVE years by one mean and unhappy boy-child (who the Matron knew well because she volunteered in the classroom and the Montessori system means you can be with one bad egg for a decade) and dear friend's daughter was so rightfully miserable the Matron nearly wept at her feet. . . . the Matron did this.

The children were heading out of the classroom to bus and parent in one long line. She pulled aside said unhappy and mean boy-child.

Matron: "I know what you're doing to X."

Boy: "So?"

Matron: "I am watching you every single second. Even when I'm not there. I have eyes in the back of my head. If you hurt her, I know."

Boy: "You're lying."

Here, the Matron firmly holds Boy's arm and looks into his eyes with a gaze that makes burning in Hell seem like a fine time, a good idea.

Matron: "No. I am magic. You will never understand. I know what you are doing to X and if you do it again, I will come after you. I will get you. I will make sure everyone in the world knows how mean you are to X. I will get you. And it will be horrible."

Boy: "uh."

This was totally unacceptable parental behavior. Politically incorrect. Mean. Really, we should have called his mother.

He never, ever bothered that little girl again.

Thank you, Mama. Dearest?

19 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Wow.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There are so many things about this that resonate with me. A complicated, intelligent, flawed mother is a thing about which I know.

And the thing you did with the kid? I've totally done that. And it totally works.

Jennifer S said...

Exactly what that boy needed.

My son was a huge surprise, too. I also never intended to have children, mainly because the parenting I witnessed was so spectacularly bad.

No regrets, but that conversation you had with your husband had me laughing! Seemed a bit familiar to me.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visiting your site. Wow. After reading through SEVERAL of your posts, it is clear as crystal to me that you must be immediatley added to my feed reader and generally stalked and applauded.

Thanks for stopping by to comment at Canned Laughter. You have been entered to win in the stationery give away. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. In the end, when you think of her, which way does the balance tip? Toward the good or the, uh, not so good?

laurie said...

these are great lessons! i learned the makeup one, too, even though my mother always wore bright magenta lipstick, which i thought was the most beautiful thing in the world.

let's see.... my mom taught me to let boys win (i didn't learn that one very well), and i learned having kids is overrated (i wonder at what point she learned that? at baby no. 4? 6? 8?), and that i should definitely plan on a career.

i have been working for some years on a collection of linked short stories called "things my mother taught me"--most of the things she taught me she taught me without meaning to.

Anonymous said...

Funny how some of those ugly lessons are the most useful. I, too, have enjoyed using my Maternal Terror Skillz and employ them when justice is needed.
Yay for you! For so many things;)

Bonnie said...

Oh Matron - what you did to (for) that mean boy makes me cry. How wonderful of you!!!
My boy is getting scapegoated at school (5th grade) and I just want to wreak havoc on those little s*&ts!! I am afraid at this stage that any mother rage will just make it harder for my son though.
Yuck.
You did good.

Anonymous said...

If my son dare terrorize another child, wearing a scarlett letter will seem no public penance.

I married later, never dreamt the fairy tale wedding, didn't long for maternity; the accidental life, in some ways.

And I had a strong mother who wore makeup on a few rare occasions that made her look unnatural, had no jewellery or fashion sense, but would suffer countless crucifixes for her children. My gradmother was another pillar. Men were around, frequently on the periphery, good and stable most times, but the women were the nucleus, the blood and heartbeat, always and without fail.

I did not yearn for a husband, but I did want a Ph.D.

Yolanda said...

Wise words from wise women.

JessTrev said...

Wow, that kinda made me teary. Both of you are bigger rock stars than Bono. I admire your strength. Funnily enough, my mom is of the "children are the source of all happiness" mindset and I thought I should never marry *or* procreate. Who knew?

Mary Alice said...

Huh. THAT was awesome. All of it.

Becky Brown said...

Mary, you rock on so many levels. Yay for mamas who kick @ss.

Anonymous said...

As the mom of that little girl, I I just want to say, even though you appear as a trim/small woman you are a rock solid mom and friend!

Heather said...

You take after your mom in all the best ways.

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE you *and* your mom. My daughter still won't give me license to loiter in the hall outside her classroom at the end of the school day to grab the arm of one Kayla, who makes the bus ride home a little rocky sometimes for my Wee Miss.

But if Kayla ever steps it up, I won't ask for a license.

Mrs. G. said...

I wouldn't be surprised if this kid still thinks you are watching him. Good work.

Gray Matter Matters said...

Suburban Correspondent sent the link for this post to me after reading my posting today about the teenage girl who was beaten on video tape by several other teenage girls. I talked a little about a boy who is bullying my 8 year old and how much maternal rage it invokes. I would LOVE to do what you did to that boy. And, who knows, very welll may.

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Survival tough is hard to balance with knowing-you're-loved. Sounds like you're valiantly working to find and feel the balance. And good on you with the horrible little boy.